The secret of education is respecting the pupil.
Media Education Lab in the Press
We're proud to share press coverage about media literacy education, interviews with members of our team, and reviews of the Media Education Lab's projects.
Featured in URI Alumni Magazine
Check it Out: Renee's white paper is listed as a top 10 reading in critical digital literacy
PRESS COVERAGE SAMPLES
- WPRI Channel 12. Community Focus: Media Education Lab's Pam Steager
- Providence Business News. URI Media Education Lab Launching Courageous RI Initiative to Combat Disinformation
- Newport This Week. Program works to reduce hate and violence.
- Boston Globe. In a push to counter misinformation, R.I. to launch public conversations to foster media literacy
- NPR Morning Edition. Illinois now requires media literacy instruction in its high school curriculum.
- CBS News. Illinois high school students to receive media literacy instruction this yea
- Vice News. The subtle (and not so subtle) military propaganda in movies.
- Scientific American. Schoolkids are Falling Victim to Disinformation and Conspiracy Fantasies
- NCTE Council Chronicle. It All Begins with Story: Using Film to Deepen Engagement and Build Critical Thinking Skills.
- Boston Globe. Is your school district in Rhode Island teaching media literacy?
- Ekathimerini. Report shows media literacy is gaining a foothold in Greece.
- Ozy. The latest weapon against fake news? Video games.
- SmartNews Japan. October. 全ての子供たちにメディアリテラシー教育を～ルネ・ホッブス教授インタビュー(前篇)
KSAT, January 10. How to become media literate, avoid misinformation (Hobbs)
Harvard EdCast: Propaganda for a Digital Age, podcast with Jill Anderson.
PBS Wisconsin: Media Literacy Certification
CleanTechnica: How are Both Landscapes Similar? They’re Both Polluted
Boston Globe: How Rhode Islanders Reacted to Biden’s Win
Washington Informer: U.S. Residents Brace For Violence - Especially if Trump Loses
Education Week: Six Ways to Make Sense of the Capitol Siege
Cranston Herald: In New Book, Teachers Shares Story of Journey to Whole New Life
The Atlantic: The Internet Won’t Be the Same After Trump
KSAT: How Conspiracies like QAnon Go from Fringes to Forefront of Social Media
JD Supra: Entitled to Copyright Erasure?
The Conversation: Masih ada banyak celah dalam pengajaran literasi media digital di level sekolah
News Road미국의 미디어 리터러시 교육 '디지털시민 양성'
AuFemin: YouTubeur qui tue sa compagne : il faut en finir avec la mode des "pranks"
Liputan 6. Hoaks dan Pentingnya Menutup Celah dalam Pengajaran Literasi Media Digital (Hobbs)
VNExpress. Donald Trump đã thay đổi Internet thế nào
Outsourcing News. [신간안내] 디지털·미디어 리터러시 수업
Harvard EdCast podcast, March 3, 2021 with Jill Anderson
A feature story on media literacy in Asahi Shimbum, Japan's most respected daily newspaper, December 25, 2020.
How to Raise a Good Citizen. Good Housekeeping, August 24, 2020.
Podcast explore the politics of media literacy and the pedagogy of teaching propaganda. Leading Lines is a podcast on educational technology in higher education. Produced by the Vanderbilt Center for Teaching, The Jean and Alexander Heard Libraries and Associate Provost for Education Development and Technologies, they explore creative, intentional, and effective uses of technology to enhance student learning, uses that point the way to the future of educational technology in college and university settings. Through interviews with educators, researchers, technologists, and others, we hope to amplify ideas and voices that are (or should be!) shaping how we think about digital learning and digital pedagogy. Listen to the podcast here!
MORE PRESS COVERAGE
Confused about Screen Time? You Aren't Alone. Slate, June 8, 2020.
Experts Say Colleges Must Help Students Understand Algorithms. VOA English, March 10, 2020.
Making Current Eventss Connections to Lessson, EdWeek, January 29, 2020
Silver the New Sexy. Free Press Journal (India), January 5, 2020.
Propaganda is both the cause and the cure for what ails us, Philadelphia's Generocity (April 23, 2019)
Educação midiática em pauta e na prática: lições da Universidade de Rhode Island, nos EUA (August 8, 2019). Portal Imprensa, Brazil.
Senate Democrats Introduce Bill to Combat Foreign Influence Campaigns, The Hill. (August 2019).
2018 - 2019 PRESS COVERAGE
- Deutsche Welle (May, 2019) US goes DIY on misinformation.
- EdSurge. (May, 2019). 9 Things Every Teacher Should Know about Using Listicles in Class
- Generocity (April, 2019). Propaganda is the cause and the cure for what ails us.
- Nieman Labs (March, 2019). The backfire effect is mostly a myth, a broad look at the research suggests.
- Columbia Journalism Review (March 2019). On media literacy and journalism
- New York Times (December 14, 2018) In France, School Lessons Ask: Which Twitter Post Should You Trust?
- UW Daily (December 4, 2018). Propaganda: The Cause and Cure of Polarization?
- Los Angeles Times (October 12, 2018). Devin Nunes is attacking his district's newspaper before the midterm election. It's a page from Trump's playbook.
- Education Week (January 23, 2019). Media Literacy Isn't Coming to Save Us
- Agencia Brasilia, Febrary 2019, On fake news in Brazil
- Momentum (URI Research). Building Digital Literacy.
- Education Dive (August 15, 2018). How to Teach 9/11 When Most Students were Born after the Tragedy.
- Education Week (August 2, 2018). Facebook Pushes Digital Literacy with New Lesson Library.
- Education Week (September 22, 2018). From Digital Divide to Innovation Divide.
- Slate (May 9, 2018). A New Program has Helped Bring Media Litieracy to Ukraine.
- Respekt.cz (Aug 26, 2018). Propojme učebnu s obývákem. Czech Republic.
Novascuola (May 7, 2018). Letramento midiático nos ajuda a conectar com o mundo. Brazil.
Novascuola (September 25, 2018). Educação Midiática trabalha competências essenciais para o cidadão do século 21
2018 - 2017 FEATURED PRESS COVERAGE
- BBC News, January 4, 2018. Interview with Renee Hobbs.
- Rolling Stone (France). January 3, 2018. Bad News : Un jeu en ligne pour apprendre à (dé)monter des Fake-News.
- Project Info Lit. Interview with Renee Hobbs.
- U.S. Embassy, Italy. Renee Hobbs on Media Literacy vs Fake News.
- Evens Foundation. Renee Hobbs presentation, Teaching the Conspiracies, November 13, 2017, Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina.
- Learning and Media Confernce. January, 2018. What is Media Literacy?
- Le Monde, Paris (June 17, 2018). De quelle éducation aux médias avons-nous besoin ?
- Education Week (June 25, 2018). Common Sense Media Overhauls Digital Citizenship Curriculum.
- Providence Business News (June 6 2018) Five Questions with Renee Hobbs.
- Slate (May 9, 2018) A New Program has Helped Bring Media Literacy to Ukraine.
Nova Escola, Brazil (May 7, 2018). Letramento midiático nos ajuda a conectar com o mundo.
- Media Policy Project, London School of Economics (December 15, 2017). Critical Digital Literacy: 10 Key Readings for our Distrustful Media Age
- Education Week (September 7, 2017). Media Literacy for Empowerment and Protection: Q&A with Renee Hobbs.
- Educational Leadership (November, 2017). Teaching and Learning in a Post Truth World.
- Street Roots, Portland OR (March 16, 2017). Distracted and Distractable: The Rise of Propaganda.
- International Communication Association, Children Adolescents and Media Division. Spotlight on Renee Hobbs. https://ica-cam.org/in-the-spotlight/renee-hobbs/
- EdSurge (May 17, 2017). Using Videos to Manage a Rowdy Classroom: Smart, Constructive or Simply Lazy?
- Education Dive (October 24, 2017). Schools Fight Fake News through Media Literacy.
- The Breeze, James Madison University (April 5, 2018). Gender Stereotypes Inhibit Self-Expression.
- Project InfoLit. Media and Meaning-Making in the Fake News Age. http://www.projectinfolit.org/renee-hobbs-smart-talk.html
- The Ringer (January 12, 2017). Decoding Facebook's Solution to Fake News.
- QuadAngles, URI The Age of Disinformation.
- Crash Course on Media Literacy (10-part video series). Multiple quotations in the series:
- Mind Over Media. Review by Kristal Curry, Teachers College Record.
- Mind Over Media. Review by Midwest Book Review.
- Create to Learn. Review by Holly Willis, Afterimage.
- Discovering Media Literacy. Review by Dana Robinson, Medium.
- Discovering Media Literacy. Review by SIMUSEE.
- Digital and Media Literacy. Review by John Robinson.
- Digital and Media Literacy. Review by Linda Pincham, Middle Ground.
- Copyright Clarity. Review by Phil Goerner, School Library Journal.
- Copyright Clarity. Review by Kenneth Martin, National Writing Project.
- Copyright Clarity. Review by Kerrie Carsey, Composition Studies.
- Copyright Clarity. Review by H.Victoria Bryant, International Journal of Communication.
- Copyright Clarity. Review by N.P. Fannenstiel.
- Exploring the Roots of Digital and Media Literacy through Personal Narrative, Review by Antonio Lopez, Media Education Research Journal
- Exploring the Roots of Digital and Media Literacy through Personal Narrative. Review by Alessandro Soriani, Università di Bologna, Ricerche di Pedagogia e Didattica
- Exploring the Roots of Digital and Media Literacy through Personal Narrative. Review, European Journal of Communication.
- Exploring the Roots of Digital and Media Literacy through Personal Narrative. Review by Trace Lahey, Teachers College Record.
- Exploring the Roots of Digital and Media Literacy through Personal Narrative. Review by Katherine Daley-Bailey, Reflecting Teaching.
- Reading the Media. Review by David Bruce, Teachers College Record.
- Reading the Media. Review by Amy Petersen Jensen, Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy.
- Reading the Media. Review by Myrna Goldstein in Issues in Applied Linguistics.
READ: Summary of Press Coverage and Audience Reach in 2015-2016
- Mind Rocket News. Renee Hobbs was interviewed about the future of digital and media literacy education while at SXSWEdu in Austin Texas in March 2015.
- Educators Using Twitter. A page one story in the Philadelphia Inquirer about the use of Twitter in education features Renee Hobbs on why Twitter is a powerful tool for teaching and learning.
- Parenting: Kids Worrying about their Weight. WPVI Action News reporter Karen Rogers mentions My Pop Studio in her story about how parents can address the role of media's role in shaping expectations about body image.
- Student Media in Transition. Kendra Hurley takes a look at the changing landscape for youth media and technology programs.
- Listen and Learn. Blog focuses on the creative use of audio books as a tool for learning, literacy and the development of the imagination.
- Youth Media Reporter. Ingrid Dahl profiles the university-community partnerships for media literacy that are under development at the Media Education Lab.
- Behind the Scenes at My Pop Studio. Henry Jenkins interviews Renee Hobbs about the development of the online edutainment program.
- My Space Blurs Lines between Friends and Flacks. Great article by Stephanie Olson on CTCNet news explores how teens can learn to be media literate about the blurring of online communication and marketing.
SEE OUR NEWS PAGE FOR MORE NEWS